27 May 2014
Life is a journey from the point of birth to the point of death or rapture – Ecc. 3:1-2
Our activities on earth, always tilt towards 4 CARDINAL POINTS
• Attainment: To obtain a height; to reach a point of fulfillment
• Accomplishment: bringing about results through efforts; to bring to completion; win
• Advancement: To make visible progress in rank, position or placement; improvement
• Acquire: To come into possession or control of something
Product of the 4 Cardinal Points
Attainment, Accomplishment, Advancement, Acquiring births 2 things in life:
The Sad Note in Relationships
On the road of relationship and the tower of platforms, there is an instinct (Impulse, Urge, Stimuli) that turn men into KILLERS. It kills faster than cancer, is more subtle than the cloud,and it is fiercer than a lion.
This INSTINCT is CALLED OFFENCE
Luk 17:1 Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come
Mat 18:7 Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!
The Bible warns, “Don’t give offence, and don’t take offence”
What is OFFENCE?
Annoyance or resentment brought about by a perceived insult to or disregard for oneself.
You can’t control what somebody will do to you, but you can control what you are going to do. Offences are more dangerous to you than they are to the person causing them.
Causes of Offence
1. Events & Circumstances
3. Personal Preference
5. Clashes of Values
6. Personality differences
7. Crossing boundaries
10. Sense of neglect or rejection
11. Misunderstanding of information
Example: John the Baptist
Mat 11:1 And it came to pass, when Jesus had made an end of commanding his twelve disciples, he departed thence to teach and to preach in their cities.
Mat 11:2 Now when John had heard in the prison the works of Christ, he sent two of his disciples,
Mat 11:3 And said unto him, Art thou he that should come, or do we look for another?
Mat 11:4 Jesus answered and said unto them, Go and shew John again those things which ye do hear and see:
Mat 11:5 The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them.
Mat 11:6 And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.
Symptoms of Offence
1. A strong desire for vengeance
2. Forgiveness in your heart
3. Insensitivity to God and the things of God
5. Jealousy and envy
7. Wrong memories are replayed in your mind
8. Internal pains, tightness, uneasiness and tension set in
9. Withdrawing from fellowship with God and men
10. Skepticism and mischief comes in.
These tentacles of offences are interwoven into every contact of our relationships.
When offence is tolerated or given enough breeding space, HATRED IS HATCHED
• Extreme dislike
• High distaste
• Hatred gives you a taste of murder
What Does Offence Kill?
• Strife: Prov.10:12 – Hatred stirreth up strifes
• Lies: Prov.10:18 – He that hideth hatred with lying lips,….
• Deception: Prov.26:24-25 – He that hateth dissembleth with his lips, and layeth up deceit within him; When he speaketh fair, believe him not: for there are seven abominations in his hear
• Embittered fellowship: Prov.15:17 – Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith.
• Physical: Gen 4 (Cain and Abel)
• Reputation: Prov.10:18 -He that hideth hatred with lying lips, and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool.
• Health of the possessor of OFFENCE
• Bitterness – (Ulcer, High Blood Pressure)
o Heb 12:14 -15 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled
• Perception of people, things and places
• Judgment Prov.26:28
• Drive to achieve or get better
• You leave main things and the minor things
How to Kill this INSTINCT before it KILLS YOU?
• Accept that it is impossible for offence not to come
• Learn to forgive
• Leave the person that is bringing or causing offences against you to God
• Avoid revenge
• Protect your heart
• Accept people for who they are
• Deal with jealousy and tendency to be envious
• Stop comparing yourself with others
• Avoid gossips and hear-say
• Avoid creating platforms for offence
• 2 Cor 6:3 Giving no offence in anything, that the ministry be not blamed
• Grow the fruits of the Holy Spirit deliberately
• Bruise your ego
Kill this Instinct before it kills you